Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reception Reports: Jan. 17, 2010 Jonesing For Indiana on the way to Dayton, Ohio! (Passing through Illinois and Michigan again too!)


This a set capturing more of the AMAZING Mid-January long distance TV DX event! This was my adventure receiving TV stations from Peoria, IL / Cleveland, OH / South Bend, IN / Detroit, MI / Lansing, MI / Ann Arbor, MI / Flint, MI / Kalamazoo, MI and Dayton, OH on Jan. 17, 2010 from my home in Markham, Ontario, Canada. A surprise channel floated in a little after 5am, and gave me my current DX record! I caught Peoria, IL's WMBD on RF30 and it's a gigantic 571 miles away from me! I also felt like a kid again watching many of the Sunday morning cartoons on various stations! I also got to capture Sunday morning newscasts from South Bend's WNDU and Detroit's WDIV! The reception seemed to settle down in the afternoon and early evening, but bounced back with new surprises from Dayton, OH (WRGT and WDTN)! There was also an odd catch from Kokomo, IN! I noticed something on RF29 blinking erratically on my Zenith DTT901 digital box, so I switched to my Panasonic tuner to see if it would decode. The picture didn't quite make it, but the calls stored in the TV as WTTK on 29-1 and THIS TV on 29-2. Distances provided are approximate.

Click here to see my full Flickr gallery of pictures (commentary included!)

Below is a listing of all stations received and shown in my Flickr gallery for January 17, 2010.

Channels from Peoria, IL [571 miles] were:
31-1 (RF30) WMBD (CBS) [my current record!]

Channels from Cleveland, OH [213 miles] were:
5-1 (RF15) WEWS (ABC)

Channels from South Bend, IN [386 miles] were:
16-1 (RF42) WNDU (NBC)
16-2 (RF42) WNDU-SD (NBC)
22-1 (RF22) WSBT (CBS)
22-2 (RF22) WSBT-SD (SBT2)
22-3 (RF22) WSBT-WX (Weather)

Channels from Detroit, MI [222 miles] were:
4-1 (RF45) WDIV (NBC)
4-2 (RF45) WDIV-SD (THIS TV)
20-1 (RF21) WMYD (MyTV)

Channels from Ann Arbor, MI [264 miles] were:
31-1 (RF31) WPXD (ION)
31-2 (RF31) WPXD (qubo)
31-3 (RF31) WPXD (IONLife)
31-4 (RF31) WPXD (Worship)

Channels from Lansing, MI [271 miles] were:
6-1 (RF36) WLNS (CBS) [over top of Analog CITS from Hamilton!!!]

Channels from Kokomo, IN [451 miles] were:
29-1 (RF29) WTTK (CW)
29-2 (RF29) WTTK (THIS TV)

Channels from Flint, MI [222 miles] were:
28-1 (RF28) WFUM (PBS)
28-2 (RF28) WFUM-SD (PBS)
28-3 (RF28) WFUM (PBS Create)

Channels from Kalamazoo, MI [326 miles] were:
64-1 (RF45) WLLA (FamilyNet)
64-2 (RF45) WLLA-D2 (Family Christian Network of Costa Rica)

Channels from Dayton, OH [386 miles] were:
2-1 (RF50) WDTN (NBC)
2-2 (RF50) WDTN-SD (NBC)
45-1 (RF30) WRGT (FOX)
45-2 (RF30) WRGT-DT (THIS TV)

Click here for a quick recap of the whole weekend's reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment