Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Reception Reports: Sept. 23-24, 2009 with Erie, Cleveland, Detroit, Utica, Syracuse & Rochester! A Super Tropo Tour!


This was my adventure receiving TV stations from Erie, PA / Cleveland, OH / Detroit, MI / Utica, NY / Syracuse, NY and Rochester, NY on September 23-24, 2009 from my home in Markham, Ontario, Canada. This was probably the last "big" opening for this many stations to come in, since the weather's gone really cold and the tropospheric enhancements are not happening lately. The night started with Erie (including a WQLN pledge drive) and moved on to Cleveland with WEWS and WKYC! Then Cleveland gave way to stations from Detroit! This was especially exciting since it was only a day or so before I'd be taking a road trip down there with friends for the JemCon in nearby Romulus, Michigan! So I got to see WDIV in my own home just before seeing the station's actual studios during our trip. (That experience will be a whole blog entry in itself! Lets just say they don't take too kindly to visitors without an appointment!) I also got to see Utica bounce in around 7am with terribly depressing news stories on Today (on WKTV) and Good Morning America (on WUTR) which focused on Mackenzie Phillips, Jaycee Dugard, and John Travolta's blackmail case that involved the tragic loss of his son Jett. Not the kind of stories to put a spring in your step. I did, however, get excited about seeing WSYR from Syracuse and their new doppler weather on subchannel WSYR-2. They've gone to a similar format as NBC Weather Plus, in that they show weather for Syracuse along with all surrounding cities while running the occasional PSA in the upper right hand corner of the screen. All in all, a great reception day (I jokingly dubbed it a Greatest Tropo Hits Tour) and maybe the last big DXing day for awhile!

Click here to see my full Flickr gallery of pictures (commentary included!)

Below is a listing of all stations received and shown in my Flickr gallery for Sept. 23-24, 2009.

Channels from Erie, PA were:
12-1 (RF12) WICU (NBC)
12-2 (RF12) WBEP (CW)
12-3 (RF12) WSEE (CBS)
54-1 (RF50) WQLN (PBS)
54-2 (RF50) WQLN-S1 (PBS Create)
54-3 (RF50) WQLN-S2 (PBS)

Channels from Cleveland, OH were:
3-1 (RF17) WKYC (NBC)
3-2 (RF17) WKYC (WXPLUS)
5-1 (RF15) WEWS (ABC)

Channels from Detroit, MI were:
4-1 (RF45) WDIV (NBC)
4-2 (RF45) WDIV-SD (THIS TV)
20-1 (RF21) WMYD (MyTV)

Channels from Utica, NY were:
2-1 (RF29) WKTV (NBC)
2-2 (RF29) WKTVDT2 (CW)
20-1 (RF30) WUTR (ABC)
20-2 (RF30) WPNY (MyTV)

Channels from Syracuse, NY were:
9-1 (RF17) WSYR (ABC)
9-2 (RF17) WSYR-2

Channels from Rochester, NY were:
21-1 (RF16) WXXI (PBS)
21-2 (RF16) WXXI-W (PBS World)
21-3 (RF16) WXXI-C (PBS Create/ThinkBright)

Stay tuned to TV Garth for more Reception Reports!

No comments:

Post a Comment