Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Adventures of "Anne Tenna" (a.k.a. Garth in drag) at Toronto Gay Pride 2009!

IMG_8475

This post is about me attending the Toronto Gay Pride Parade in drag, so if drag or Gay Pride isn't your thing, skip this entry! Otherwise, keep reading on about my adventures as Anne Tenna! Pictured above is the yagi-inspired "cape" I made to wear in the Parade, which took place this past June 2009. Now that it's freezing cold and snowy, it seems appropriate to flash back to a time when the weather was hot and the tropo was hotter!


Click here to see the full Flickr gallery of me in costume as Anne Tenna!


Usually when I'm passionate about something, it eventually becomes a drag performance. I've done my personal icons Wonder Woman, Lucille Ball, Madonna, and a few others. But I wondered how I would translate my love of long distance TV reception into something I could wear for the Toronto Gay Pride Parade in 2009. My solution? I created the character "Anne Tenna". I bought a kicky little gold dress and decided to make it a silver and gold mashup with a yagi-inspired "cape" showcasing TV stations I've picked up, along with bow tie antennas in my hair, and a rabbit ear headdress. The headdress also showed off my TV Garth blog logo and address! The only snag was that it rained that day, so my yagi antenna "cape" got soggy and one of the elements came off....heh....just like a real antenna. But it was a fun day and many people actually got what I was doing (a guy saw me and wished me "good reception"!)

IMG_9073

IMG_9119

I was stressing out about how I would pull this off on very little sleep (partying for most of the weekend makes it hard to be well rested and ready to march in a parade in any condition, let alone drag!) When I went to bed the night before the parade, it was near dawn. But when I looked out the window of my hotel room, I found all the inspiration I needed! I saw the gorgeous sunrise paired with a giant antenna tower from a neighbouring apartment complex, pictured below. (The setup looks to be a MATV system for those who live in the complex.)

IMG_9069

Below is me with my "cape" on and my entourage heading for the Parade!

2009-06-28 (060)


The other neat thing is that I got to meet Rick Mercer from CBC's The Rick Mercer Report and he was very nice and posed for a pic with me! I also posed near any and every TV related logo I could find (even the CABLE ones....heh....) I was successful in finding CTV, CP24 (cable news channel), and CBS!

IMG_9112

I'll throw the link out to my Flickr gallery one more time for those who want to see more of me in action as Anne Tenna!

Click here to see the full Flickr gallery of me in costume as Anne Tenna!

Stay tuned to TV Garth for more Reception Reports and random TV related fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment