Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

TV History: Eaton's 1949 AD Selling TVs In Toronto Star

When I was doing some research on Toronto Star's excellent Pages Of The Past, I discovered many cool advertisements and OTA TV information, as it was when TV was just beginning to gain a more widespread audience in the late 1940s, through the 1950s. Here is an ad from Eaton's, promoting a General Electric TV set with the help of Buffalo's WBEN (later WIVB). This was seen January 13, 1949.

1 comment:

  1. until now, i did not know the historical significance of this excerpt from an e-mail u sent me on JUNE 25th, 2008 while i was away down south....

    [quote]
    ...Been playing with the antenna too, and during some of the freaky weather we've had I've been able to get MORE digital channels!!!! I finally snagged WGRZ NBC , which also carries a digital sub-channel of weather news. I also got WKBW (ABC) which has TWO additional sub-channels. It carries WNGS and W-something-else. WNGS is an independent Buffalo channel with hilariously bad local commericals.
    ...
    So, yeah, I was geeking out over all the channels I was picking up. (They seem to have disappeared since the weather-burst, but I may need to look into that.)
    Also found some local Canadian ones, like both Omnis. :-)
    [/quote}

    looks like u've been "looking into that" for 2 and a half years now....

    ReplyDelete