Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

TV History: 1956 OTA Article In Toronto Star

Below is an article from the August 27, 1956 edition of the Toronto Star. TV columnist Gordon Sinclair writes about his Over-The-Air experiences in 1956 in Toronto! It's interesting in that it doesn't sound too different from the OTA discussions of today where OTA enthusiasts try to achieve the best reception of digital signals. In the article, Gordon is writing about getting a setup to receive WBUF, an early attempt to see if a UHF NBC affiliate could provide competition for ABC & CBS (which were on VHF at the time.) WBUF was on Channel 17 only a few years before it became the well known PBS station, WNED. Read more about WBUF by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment