Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Friday, April 10, 2009

Reception Reports: The Big Burst Of Rochester (March 24, 2009) Part 1

I've dubbed this "historic" night (March 24, 2009) the "Big Burst Of Rochester" because all of the available Rochester, NY digital signals came in pretty strong in my area for about five hours. So, naturally, I stayed up all night watching them, channel surfing, and taking pics! It was like I was eating a bag of "Munchies" snack mix....I got to sample a little bit of everything, and felt stuffed afterwards. This night was so big it's going to take two blog entries to document. So without further ado, here it is, the Big Burst featuring my commentary along with pics in their chronological order. (The stations came in off and on from about 11pm to 5am.)

The night began around 11pm with PBS station 21-1 WXXI (and its subchannels 21-2 and 21-3) coming in loud and clear. (WXXI appears to be the easiest Rochester station to pick up in and around Toronto when the weather is right, so if you can get this, you sometimes have a shot at the others.)


Then, with some antenna adjustment, 10-1 WHEC (NBC) Rochester began to flutter in, with some pixellation problems at first, but eventually became fairly strong. I caught the tail end of their evening news. The pic below is great because the weather report includes tons of Canadian cities including Toronto! I was actually surprised how many cities were included that aren't even in their main coverage area.


Meanwhile, on 10-2 NBC WeatherPlus, I got to see Fergie on my screen! No, not the Black Eyed Peas / Kids Incorporated Fergie, but the original Dutchess!


Back on 21-1 WXXI (PBS) they let us know they are having an auction this year with a beautfully retro looking logo!


I clicked over to 10-1 WHEC just in time to see a Tim Horton's commercial! Yeah! I don't care that they're owned by Wendy's, I still have my Canadian pride take over when I see the name! (Plus, I like the Wendy's-Tim Horton's combo locations in Toronto, because Wendy's is quite delicious in their own right. I love that Tim Horton's is becoming popular in Western New York.

Then, at 11:35 all the talk shows began, with Jay Leno on 10-1 WHEC.


Then came a funny advertisment on 8-1 WROC (CBS) promoting the Rochester Knighthawks, and included a mock interview with a gigantic mascot.


8-1 WROC, of course, featured David Letterman and his guest Mary Tyler Moore!!! Mary was well known for being able to turn the world on with her smile, though later in the evening there would be a few commericals suggesting other ways to be turned on. (See the Post-T-Vac and Trojan's Vibrating Touch finger massager, which appear later in these entries.) Mary's looking good, smiling for Dave, and is totally rocking some awesome boots!

Lawyers Cellino & Barnes seem to appear every third commercial on most of the major Buffalo stations (especially WGRZ, WIVB and WKBW.) But here they are in Rochester too, on WROC! They don't hide their Buffalo roots, though, by getting a Buffalo Sabres player in on their act.

Over on 13-1 WHAM, Jimmy Kimmel was showing.

Their signal, though, was suffering a bit, but I still got this snap of a balloon-like booth where you could apparently sign up to win tickets to see Rachael Ray in NYC!

Sister station 13-2 CW-WHAM was showing MTV Cribs. CW-WHAM seems to pick up many of the trashy syndicated shows like Judge Alex, and as seen later in this entry, Steve Wilkos.

Below, on 21-3 WXXI-C, the reporter looks like she really didn't Need To Know about the Regional Forclosure Prevention meetings in Western New York. Judging by her facial expression, the economy really is horrifying to everyone these days.

Over on 21-1, WXXI was showing what looked like a contemporary rap video. So I started taking pics thinking "WOW.....PBS sure has changed over the years!" Then all of sudden Mariah Carey started rolling around the screen, and I jumped because one of my close friends is a HUGE Mariah fan. I tried to take pics of her, but every time I snapped, I got pics of the guy instead. He's actually known as "The Dream" and the video intro was from his collaboration with Mariah called "My Love" and he was being interviewed by Tavis Smiley.

After Tavis Smiley, WXXI showed another promo for their upcoming auction, and this snap captured a ton of their station logos, followed immediately by another snap of their main station logo.

I surfed back over to 10-1 WHEC in time to see a fabulous.....er.....there's no word here that won't come off as being insulting, but slighty ghetto-tastic commercial for the Irondequoit Liquor store (try saying that name a few times fast.) Then again, surfing over to their website (which also includes the commercial), I noticed that they say "If you want DEEP DISCOUNT PRICING, you're gonna love this place!" So, ghetto-tastic might not be so far off the mark.

Again on 10-1 WHEC, Jimmy Fallon was on and featured some Australian singer who looked like a total Diva. So really, this snap is here because she was wearing a glittering, sparkly Diva dress, and knew how to work the stage with sassy vocals and finger points. Even Jimmy appears to be voguing in the midst of her fabulousness!

So here we are with Jimmy Fallon finishing, and most NBC stations go straight into Last Call With Carson Daly, right? Buffalo's WGRZ on 2-1 did just that, as pictured below:

But over on 10-1 WHEC, they replaced him with a 16lb TURKEY!!! Well, not exactly a turkey, but rather an infomercial for the NuWave Infrared oven that can cook a 16lb turkey. They leave Carson high and dry until finally slotting him in at 4am!

Take a look at the expression on the guy's face in the pic below! I guess most people would wear a grimace like that if they had gotten a 14 year old pregnant. This guy doesn't look too sure of what he's gotten himself into over on the Steve Wilkos show on 13-2 CW-WHAM.

Over on the main 13-1 WHAM, they were showing a repeat of their nightly newscast.

And on 10-2, Rochester's NBC WeatherPlus gives us the scoop on Buffalo's weather. (Compare 10-2's weather which only covers Rochester, Buffalo, and Syracuse to the WeatherPlus channel on WGRZ's 2-2, which covers many more areas including Toronto.)

Here we have the first vaguely inappropriate commercial offering of the night! I was already excited about receiving 31-1 WUHF (FOX Rochester) for the very first time (it hadn't come in for me on the previous Rochester burst.) But I wasn't quite vibrating with excitement like these ladies plan to be. I watched in amazement as two valley girls who were seemingly plucked from a salon start discussing a new "fingertip massager" from Trojan called the Vibrating Touch. The commercial seems to have been shot on a budget of five dollars, with atrocious "fake whispers" about the things you can do with this "massager" and when the women are perplexed about where to buy it, the kindly receptionist (who fell out of the 1940s book of stereotypes and should probably be named "Agnes") leans in and tells them they can get it online because that's where she got hers! Watch the commercial on You Tube by clicking here. The best part is the horrible pun within the main tagline: "See what the BUZZ is all about!"

Stay tuned, and click here to read Part Two of The Big Burst Of Rochester!

No comments:

Post a Comment