Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Reception Reports: May 2012 (Part 2)

Greetings TV Garth readers! The May-hem continues as we move on to Part 2 of the Spring Reception rundown! (Click here for Part 1.) In the later part of May, Rochester, Syracuse and Utica were still on display, plus there was a pinch of Pennsylvania!

May 23, 2012

Rochester, NY's WROC (RF45) had sports director John Kucko making the newscast a black tie event! Along for the swanky affair were Kevin Doran, Maureen McGuire and Scott Hetsko!

2012-05-23

May 26, 2012

It's always fun to catch WROC in my neck of the woods!

2012-05-26

There was an amazing WROC bumper that featured some historical logos and a great station ID! Surprisingly, this is the only time I've seen it air.

2012-05-26
2012-05-26

I knew Summer was on the way when I saw a promo for Scott Hetsko's Backyard BBQ on Rochester, NY's WUHF (RF28). The BBQ is appropriate because he sizzles on air and cooks up an entertaining forecast every time!

2012-05-26

Later that night, I didn't have to wrestle with my reception too much as I jumped in the ring with Rochester's CW-WHAM (RF13-2)! Pier 6 Wrestling was on with hunktacular Dain "the Pain" Jacobs showing off in the awesomely named Hamlin Sportatorium.

2012-05-26

I wasn't dragging my heels on capturing some awesome gender bending on late night TV! First up was the legendary Priscilla: Queen Of The Desert airing on Hamilton, ON's CHCH (RF11).

2012-05-26

Springville, NY's WBBZ (RF7) was running what should have been called Get Smart Ensembles as one character was (half) dressed up as a Diva!

2012-05-26

May 27, 2012

The fabulousness continued the next day with an airing of To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar on WROC's Bounce TV subchannel!

2012-05-27

Olympia Dukakis was promoting her movie Cloudburst on George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight. (Seen on Toronto, ON's CBLT, RF20.) The film was screened with Dukakis in attendance at the Inside Out LGBT Film Festival right around this time! (A pal saw the screening and said it was a great!)

2012-05-27

You otter know about the stuffed animal that's the driving force behind Auto Junction's amazing commercial! LOVE it! (Seen via Rochester, NY's WROC subchannel Bounce, RF45-2.)

2012-05-27

WHEC's MeTV subchannel aired an ad that brought together three awesome anchors from rival Rochester stations! Janet Lomax, Maureen McGuire and Ginny Ryan banded together for YWCA's Stand Against Racism.

2012-05-27

It was neat to watch I Love Lucy on WHEC's MeTV subchannel! I became a huge Lucy fan nearly twenty years ago when I saw repeats airing on Barrie's CKVR and Buffalo's WUTV.

2012-05-27

I caught part of the newscast on Rochester's WHEC (RF10) with Amanda McDonald, Christine VanTimmeren and solid new sports hire Justin Granit!

2012-05-27

Syracuse, NY's WSTM subchannel CNY (RF24-3) was showing a newscast with Jessica Cain!

2012-05-27

CNY also featured a major ad with Stephanie Miner (the mayor of Syracuse) for The Cart Starts Here, which encourages folks to "buy local." I would also love it if Stephanie's supporters called themselves The Miner League!

2012-05-27

I saw the Memorial Day celebrations on several PBS stations that night including Rochester, NY's WXXI (RF16). After seeing Jessica Sanchez sing her face off, I wanted to call the police to report that she had been robbed of the American Idol crown by Phillip Phillips.

2012-05-27

I also saw Daughtry perform, which reminded me how much I loved the song "Breakdown" from their first album! (Years ago I wrote a long ramble on sister blog Frothy Pop Treats about how I thought the song could work as a gay rights anthem!)

2012-05-27

The N.Y. Temperatures go up a few degrees as meteorologist Stacey Pensgen rocks a fierce ensemble on Rochester, NY's WROC (RF45).

2012-05-27

Tina Shively and Ashley Zilka were both WROCin' the newscast that evening!

2012-05-27

Preparations were down to the wire for Nik Wallenda's historic walk across Niagara Falls! The event would be all wet if the arrangements weren't properly balanced!

2012-05-27

May 29, 2012

I wondered if the temperatures were in the 60s given the psychadelic colours on the doppler radar behind WROC's Scott Hetsko!

2012-05-29

Don Alhart never phones it in during his newscasts on Rochester's WHAM (RF13).

2012-05-29

Since 2009, I've blogged about Rochester, NY's WHEC (RF10) running infomercials, religious programs and pretty much anything but Last Call With Carson Daly at 1:35am. These days they run repeats of The Office, with Phyllis getting sassy in the pic below.

2012-05-29

Clearfield, PA's WPSU (RF15) made a surprise appearance. RF15 is a very crowded channel these days and DXing will become even more difficult when Hamilton's CHCH moves there next year. So far, this is WPSU's only logging this year!

2012-05-29

May 30, 2012

Utica, NY's WKTV (RF29) showed up with Don Shipman looking very dapper in a station promo!

2012-05-30

Don Shipman's new co-host on WKTV's morning news is Jenel Boston, and by the looks of it, they're getting along quite well! (Rumour has it that Boston narrowly beat out Jasmine Chicago for the gig!)

2012-05-30

One Bill that folks actually like to see is Mr. Kardas during his forecasts on WKTV.

2012-05-30

Rochester, NY's WUHF (RF28) featured a great FOX Rochester logo during a promo for their DTV activity reports.

2012-05-30

Meanwhile, viewers were ready to (Reach Up For The) Sunrise with Katrina Irwin and John DiPasquale on WROC!

2012-05-30

Viewers have shared many highs and lows with Marty Snyder through the years on Rochester's WHAM (RF13).

2012-05-30

I stayed up until 8am to watch country star Chely Wright on CBS This Morning. (Seen via Buffalo, NY's WIVB, RF39.) Only a few days earlier, I had seen her amazing documentary Wish Me Away at the Inside Out LGBT Film Festival. Chely was in attendance, and I got a nice pic of her talking to the audience after the screening!

2012-05-30
2012-05-26

Stay tuned to TV Garth as we'll be jumpin' into June's Reception Reports right around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment