Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Happy Easter!

Just a quick entry to wish a very Happy Easter to all of my favourite Peeps!

IMG_9516

I was on vacation for the last week and a half of March, so I know that I’d better hop to it and get some blog updates ready!

IMG_9513

Hopefully the updates about the over-the-air adventures during my vacation will be egg-citing to read!

IMG_9514

All pics above are from Rochester, NY’s WROC (8-1, RF45) as seen April 1, 2010. Stay tuned to TV Garth for a recap of the over-the-air TV I watched while on vacation in Santa Maria, California and Las Vegas, Nevada!

2 comments:

  1. Hello. I've been reading your blog all through this afternoon. It's funny reading your commentaries concerning your enthusiasm about OTA reception. We know our guilty pleasures (mine being Legend of the Seeker, for some reason lol).

    I have a question. How much effort do you put to get reception from Detroit? I know that it's to your southwest, going by your home location. I figured that if you can receive WDIV and WMYD, and WJBK, which is VHF, then it shouldn't be impossible to receive most Detroit stations. I'm sure you've done your TV Fool analysis. You may also like to check out this site: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php

    That site has the list of the RF channels for the stations in Detroit, Cleveland and Toledo, as well as the stations you already are receiving. I read that Las Vegas OTA is nice to receive, since that are no large cities nearby for hundreds of miles all around. Was that the case for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    Thanks for checking out my blog! That's cool about Legend of the Seeker being your guilty pleasure...I've heard it's a pretty good show! :-)

    My Detroit reception is only occasional - only in times where there are "tropo" enhancements of reception. The only reception I get regularly is Toronto and Buffalo. But being near the lake helps a LOT :-) That, combined with good weather and the tropo leads to all the crazy reception I document here! I actually find that in Spring-Summmer I can pick up a lot of far Western New York stations (Rochester, sometimes Utica & Syracuse) as well as Erie, PA. Detroit seemed to come in a few times in late Summer last year, then popped up again last November and this past January. In my January reception report I included a pic of where I place my antenna to get Detroit (that position also worked for Ohio, Illinois and Indiana.)

    Las Vegas OTA was interesting because most of their major affiliates were on VHF. They also had a HUGE amount of OTA channels! (One of the biggest markets I've seen in terms of amount of OTA stations available.) There was even one independent station that had SIX sub channels! I've never seen more than four on one station. I hope to get a report up soon!

    Thanks again for checking out my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete