Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

TV Garth: Olympic Wrap Up!

Greetings TV Garth readers! The 2010 Vancouver Olympics are over, but I still wanted to do a wrap up of some of the highlights! The following report is culled from both CTV and NBC coverage! So without further ado, here is What TV Garth Observed About The Olympics:

  • Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue did an incredible job in the Ice Dancing competition. Their routine was flawless and jaw droppingly smooth! (Plus I love that if you drop the “a” from Tessa, she’d sound like a Dick Tracy character!)

IMG_9971

  • CTV personality Lisa LaFlamme needs to start a recording career so that she can have albums with names like Flammeboyant or Highly Flammeable. (Or those could be the names of her edgy electronic rock bands!)

IMG_9983

  • It was wonderful to see Joannie Rochette triumph over personal tragedy to win a Bronze medal in the Women’s skating.

IMG_0021

  • It would be even more wonderful if Joannie Rochette joined forces with South Korea's Kim Yuna and Japan’s Mao Asada to create The Triple Axels! It would be an animated kids series where they each get special powers by wearing the flags of their respective countries as capes! They’d get to shout sassy phrases at criminals like “You’re on thin ice, buddy!” or “You can’t skate by us!” Each episode would have a short appearance by the real life women to teach kids a valuable lesson about eating vegetables or something.

IMG_0029

  • Canadian institution Lloyd Robertson did the CTV news from Vancouver’s Olympic set!

IMG_0077

  • Canadian fast food chain Harvey’s advertised heavily during the American coverage of the games! Their commercials popped up frequently on Buffalo’s WGRZ during their local ad breaks. I know some Canadian chains have made their way to Western New York (like Swiss Chalet and Tim Horton’s.) But these were definitely the Canadian ads, as they started off with “You asked for it Canada!”

IMG_0079 IMG_0085

  • This was NBC’s main Olympic set with Bob Costas interviewing Linsday Vonn!

IMG_0089

  • Canadian Men’s Hockey WIN featuring Sidney Crosby during NBC’s coverage of the game!

IMG_0139

  • All together for a group shot! The Canadian Men’s Hockey Team get together and pose on CTV!

IMG_0154

  • I bet these players have really big sticks….to play a rousing game of hockey, of course!

IMG_0155

  • I was switching between CTV and NBC’s coverage of the big hockey game, and was surprised that NBC seemed quicker to pounce on our guys for interviews.

IMG_0195

  • Crowds were going crazy for the Canadian Men’s Hockey Team. Check out Robson Square in Vancouver below! (This also doubles a shout out to my friend Felix, who lives in Vancouver!)

IMG_0143

  • There’s a Brian Williams on CTV (pictured below) and a Brian Williams on NBC. Both networks got together and produced a really cute segment about the meeting of the two personalities.

IMG_0210

  • CTV’s Brian Williams owns the main Olympic set used by the network during the Games!

IMG_0212

  • I Believe there were times that Nikki Yanofsky looked like she wanted to stab Annie Villeneuve with a rusty hanger during their joint performance before the closing ceremonies. J’Imagine all the drama that would cause!

IMG_0219

  • I was surprised to see the cast of Glee come out to perform “O Canada” at the closing ceremonies! (Then I found out it was actually a group called Inward Eye with the Vancouver Youth Symphony Orchestra.)

IMG_0244

  • Canadian Idol winner Eva Avila popped up at the closing ceremonies, reminding me how great she is. That made me think about how it’s a shame that most of the Canadian Idol winners have never been as “big” as they should be. (Maybe it was PETA that sabotaged her career because her skirt looked like it was made from the feathers of a dead bird.)

IMG_0259

  • Michael BublĂ© can have his Mountie outfit ripped off in front of me anytime he wishes!

IMG_0298

  • Alanis Morissette = awesome!

IMG_0348

  • WGRZ chose the week of the Olympics to debut their news in 16x9 widescreen SD. It now looks much more dynamic than their competitors. Also of note is Matt Granite, a solid reporter (pictured below) who does the “Ways 2 Save” segments in addition to co-producing WGRZ’s Daybreak! During one recent newscast, the news team revealed he was a “proud Canadian” after the Olympic hockey win and joked that he gave up a career in the NHL to deliver savings tips to Western New Yorkers. In one of his blog entries he wrote: “I am so unbelievably psyched to [be] in Buffalo and working at the same channel I grew up watching (even though I'm from Toronto), I'd do my job at any hour.” He also has an Honors B.A. from University of Toronto! Go Matt Granite! Whoo!

IMG_0418

  • The Olympics may be over, but the flame lives on in our hearts! (Or in TV Garth’s case, the flames never really stopped!)

IMG_0232

Stay tuned to TV Garth for more TV treats, including an update on the March tropo situation! (It will herald the return of Rochester! Utica! Erie! And more wacky commercials!)

2 comments:

  1. Garth, did you have to remind us yet again of the superiority of Canadian TV coverage of the Olympics! I was hoping, just hoping for some skip in late February...

    Well... it is (sadly) true, and while I've never had the privilege to watch CTV (or CBC prior) do the Olympics the message boards where folks residing on the northern US border said that CTV had more live coverage, better coverage and less BS concerning the games.

    If NBC had not tried to force figure skating/ice dancing AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHER EVENTS I might have watched some of it. I'm still p***ed off that the NBC OTA network showed Ice Dancing instead of the first USA-Canada men's hockey game (that game was on "cable"--MSNBC-- down here) I was glad to hear that Johnny Weir was able to be himself and to the hell with those folks at RDS (the French-Canadian network) that was giving him a hard time concerning his outfits.

    BTW...Did I tell you I've not watched Jay Leno since he slivered back to The Tonight Show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fritze!

    Heh....you're right about NBC botching things up that first week. (Trust me...even with the sour taste of hockey getting relegated to MSNBC while NBC showed Ice Dancing, Scott Moir and Tessa Virtue will win you over! They were amazing!) But I do think the many viewer complaints helped NBC do a better job in the second week of coverage. (Especially since they aired the hockey live across all time zones after that first screw up.)

    It's a shame that RDS was attacking Johnny Weir, but at least they got reprimanded pretty quickly and got very negative reviews for it in some of the Toronto papers. I am glad to see a new trend of celebs like him, Adam Lambert and Ellen and others being themselves while they're still successful instead of waiting (cough-ClayAiken-cough) until their career cools down to do that.

    As for Jay Leno, I admit I did watch the first show back out of curiosity (plus no ratings from my house would be counted anyway...heh...) It was basically the same show it always was. (The real standout of the ep was Jamie Foxx's erratic behaviour.) I don't *hate* Jay - he's funny enough, but not necessarily that original. (Even Conan's twitter feed seems to have more wit than a week of Jay's shows.) I'm trying not to totally blame Jay for the situation (even though he had a big role in it). But I do blame NBC for screwing everything up for both of them.

    Now I'm actually scrambling to find tickets to Conan's comedy tour - Toronto is one of his tour stops and the show sold out in minutes! (If I do get to go, I'm totally doing a report on here about it!)

    ReplyDelete