Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Reception Reports: 2011 Highlights Part 7!

Greetings TV Garth readers! After this, I'm only one post away from wrapping up my 2011 Highlights series! So sit back, grab a snack and take a look back at the signals that visited Markham, Ontario, Canada throughout the later part of 2011! This edition finds "Hot-tober" winding down, with a few other treats sprinkled through the month.

OCTOBER 10, 2011

Utica, NY's WKTV (RF29) featured a new promo for longtime anchor Bill Worden.

2011-10-10

I got to see WKTV's morning show with meteorologist Bill Kardas and Megan Koskovich! Place your bets now as to weather or not Bill's glasses will disappear!

2011-10-10

You'd be right as rain if you bet on Bill's glasses vanishing!

2011-10-10

Kristen Copeland appeared in a promo for WKTV's early evening news. (To this day I wonder if I may have met her during a road trip in 2010. My pals and I were in the WKTV parking lot a little after 6:30pm taking pics when a woman rolled down her car window to ask what we were up to. She was friendly and even admired my TV Garth t-shirt as we explained that I hoped to get a tour of the station. Later on, I saw Copeland in promos, realized she anchors the 6pm news and wondered if we saw her just as she was leaving that night!)

2011-10-10

Appropriately, I saw WKTV's ad for Carl's Furniture City while lounging in bed! (I was getting ready to sleep, and was watching on my Dynex TV in the basement at the time.)

2011-10-10

I thought it was great to see Chaz Bono competing on Dancing With The Stars as a proud transgendered contestant. It also didn't hurt that Bono's partner Lacey Schwimmer was sporting a Wonder Girl-esque top in this episode! (Seen via Buffalo, NY's WKBW, RF38.)

2011-10-10

This season of Dancing also included the awesome J.R. Martinez! As well, I almost Screamed when I saw David Arquette's smoking hotness in the background!

2011-10-10

Rochester, NY's WUHF (RF28) was hotter than cable tv when they aired a Pepsi ad featuring Mariah Carey along with a gaggle of other famous spokespeople. (My joke makes more sense if you look up the lyrics to Mariah's song 4Real 4Real!)

2011-10-10

OCTOBER 11, 2011 - Last Burst of "Hot-tober"

I drooled when Rochester, NY's WROC (RF45) advertised an open house at their studios! Unfortunately, I couldn't pull off an impromptu trip to take advantage of it.

2011-10-11

This Hairzoo spokeswoman looked very enthusiastic about getting some new clients. After all, the world of salons can be a competitive jungle, and situations quickly get hairy! (Seen via Rochester, NY's WROC, RF45.)

2011-10-11

I caught some of WROC's AM news with Katrina Irwin and John DiPasquale, who rocked a Superman inspired hairstyle. (Did he go to Hairzoo that week?)

2011-10-11

Rochester, NY's TCT repeater W42CO (RF42) showed up with this handsome guy encouraging viewers to "Connect to something stronger than yourself." I definitely want to connect with this guy, and I bet he's stronger than me too! (TCT will not be pleased with my take on a partnership pledge...)

2011-10-11

I always love seeing Sid The Science Kid on Rochester, NY's WXXI (RF16) because it was the first thing I saw on the station during my early days of DTV DXing in 2009!

2011-10-11

At night, Hot-tober went out with a bang with a very strong WKTV (RF29) blasting in from Utica, NY around 11pm.

2011-10-11

Syracuse, NY's WSYR (RF17) certainly wasn't phoning it in, as their signal was also pretty strong!

2011-10-11

Check out the weather map on WSYR's subchannel! It covers the four corners of Lake Ontario, which seemed to mirror the coverage of all the tropo that was rolling in!

2011-10-11

WKTV's evening newscast was anchored by Lexie O'Connor!

2011-10-11

What I love about Jill Reale is that she never fronts with WKTV viewers during her forecasts. (At least until a cold front comes through...)

2011-10-11

Here's a great shot of WSYR's web address featuring their call letters!

2011-10-11

Before Niko Tamurian, WSYR's Steve Infanti was my "original recipe" Syracrush! Here he is in a nice bumper from the newscast.

2011-10-11

Rochester, NY's WHAM (RF13) was also coming in strong with Ginny Ryan at the anchor desk.

2011-10-11

WSTM's subchannel featured CNY In Touch with longtime anchor Laura Hand. I actually knew of her from vintage TV Guides I bought a few years ago. When I saw ads with Laura, I thought, "I hope to DX her someday so I can make a pun with her name!" As most readers know, bad puns and TV Garth go Hand in Hand!

2011-10-11

WSTM's CNY subchannel features brief news and weather updates, including the forecast with Matt Stevens below.

2011-10-11

I had a wave of nostalgia when I caught an ad for Fox Car Dealerships on WSTM! I remembered seeing their ads on the station back in 2009! (I also heart those flying clocks in the commercial!)

2011-10-11

There was a nice promo for WSTM's Today In CNY featuring Megan Coleman.

2011-10-11

Niko Tamurian scored a slam dunk with his report about Wes Johnson's concerns over the delay of the NBA season! Check out my interview with Niko from earlier this year. He rocks!

2011-10-11

Erin certainly has some Gall to try running for the Supreme Court!

2011-10-11

I noticed that WSTM's Matt Stevens seemed to be on the fence about his forecast that evening.

2011-10-11

Jackie Robinson hits a homerun with her Divalicious anchoring on WSTM's evening news! Robinson has been with the station for over 30 years now!

2011-10-11

Rochester, NY's WHEC subchannel MeTV (RF10-2) proves that they have an Untouchable lineup of vintage programming!

2011-10-11

There was also a great promo encouraging WHEC viewers to "See It, Snap it, Send It," which felt very meta as I took pictures of it. They don't have to tell me twice!

2011-10-11

WHEC's weather subchannel reminds viewers that MeTV is now on 10-2 and weather is now on 10-3. (So glad they kept the weather subchannel!)

2011-10-11

Here we have WHEC meteorologist Kevin Williams explaining that Hot-tober was coming to a close. (It was a great run while it lasted, spanning about 8 days of awesome reception and high temperatures!)

2011-10-11

Check out this great station ID for WHEC's MeTV subchannel!

2011-10-11

I switched back over to Syracuse, NY's WSYR-2 (RF17-2) where Rod Wood and Christie Casciano anchored the repeat of the 11pm news.

2011-10-11

Jay Leno was on Utica, NY's WKTV (RF29) with Modern Family's Julie Bowen doing a spot on recreation of my face during Hot-tober.

2011-10-11

WSYR's Tammy Palmer presented a report on WSYR-2's repeat of the evening news.

2011-10-11

I also saw Steve Infanti up at bat promoting his upcoming sports report on WSYR-2!

2011-10-11

OCTOBER 17, 2011

I was getting ready for bed and watching ABC's World News Now when I saw that Zachary Quinto had officially come out of the closet! I was glad that he was able to boldly go where few leading actors have gone before! (Seen via Buffalo, NY's WKBW, RF38.)

2011-10-16

I was even more surprised when World News Now anchor Dan Kloeffler (below with Yunji De Nies) had his own impromptu coming out when he joked about wanting to date Quinto. (Seen via Buffalo, NY's WKBW, RF38.)

2011-10-16

OCTOBER 18, 2011

Buffalo, NY's WGRZ (RF33) carried Zachary Quinto's coming out statement, as he was inspired by the tragic passing of Western New York teen Jamey Rodemeyer.

2011-10-17

OCTOBER 23, 2011

In late October, I saw Zooey Deschanel belt out the national anthem during Game 4 of the World Series on FOX. (Seen via Rochester, NY's WUHF, RF28.)

2011-10-23

Erie, PA's WQLN-S2 (RF50-3) was running a documentary which featured the randomly hilarious line pictured below!

2011-10-23

Rochester, NY's WROC subchannel Bounce TV proved they were a friend of Dorothy by airing Diana Ross' fabulous film The Wiz.

2011-10-23

Back on WROC's main channel (RF45) I caught the late news with Tina Shively anchoring.

2011-10-23

WROC's Alex Hinckley showed off some of the unbe-leaf-able foliage that was present in late October.

2011-10-23

There's a fierce fashion alert in the forecast as Stacey Pensgen rocks some snazzy wardrobe during WROC's weather report!

2011-10-23

Syracuse, NY's WSTM (RF24) arrived for a bit with meteorologist Mike Brookins storming in with his forecast!

2011-10-23

Brookins also appeared on WSTM's CNY subchannel!

2011-10-23

At first I wondered if Caitlin Nuclo had borrowed one of Lady Gaga's gourd-geous hats, until I realized the giant pumpkin was behind her! (Seen via WSTM's CNY subchannel, RF24-3.)

2011-10-23

Lisa Spitz out the day's events with aplomb during WSTM's evening newscast!

2011-10-23

Here's a great look at the full WSTM news set!

2011-10-23

Rochester, NY's WXXI (RF16) was showing the LGBT program In The Life, which was celebrating their 20th Anniversary in the episode pictured below!

2011-10-23

That wraps up most of October's highlights! Stay tuned for Part 8 as TV Garth concludes the highlights reel of 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment