Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Monday, February 20, 2012

Reception Reports: 2011 Highlights Part 6!

Greetings TV Garth readers! It may be February 2012, but I'm determined to complete my 2011 roundup! So sit back, grab a snack and take a look back at the signals that visited Markham, Ontario, Canada throughout 2011! This edition continues with the wave of "Hot-tober" reception that covered the early half of October where the heat made for amazing results!

OCTOBER 7, 2011

Things were Buggin' in my House when John Leguizamo appeared on Tavis Smiley. Leguizamo was one of my early crushes when I was still "figuring things out" about myself as a teen. (Seen via Rochester, NY's WXXI, RF16.)

2011-10-07

I was excited to finally experience a nice wave of Michigan reception on this day. It also didn't hurt that it involved Jake Gyllenhaal ripping off his pants on WMYD's Cool TV subchannel (RF21-2).

2011-10-07

This is exactly what I looked like when Jake Gyllenhaal ditched his pants! (Seen via Detroit, MI's WMYD, RF21.)

2011-10-07

Detroit, MI's WDIV (RF45) had a wonderful promo with weather man Devin Scillian spinning around and throwing leaves like confetti! Fabulous! I hope no one ever tells Devin to stop being so Scilli!

2011-10-07

WDIV still carries This TV as a subchannel, pictured below with their Saturday Flashback Matinee!

2011-10-07

WDIV's subchannel (RF45-2) carried this great Ellen promo.

2011-10-07

This PSA was framed by an awesome WDIV station ID. The PSA was hilarious because that little girl quickly takes her Mom on a wild ride throughout the supermarket. I think it was about having too much sugar.

2011-10-07

In the last couple of years, I've noticed that late night shows like Jimmy Fallon switched to using full "record jacket" sized sleeves when introducing their musical acts. I love it, as it's both nostalgic and practical, since CD covers are so tiny. (Seen via Detroit, MI's WDIV, RF45.)

2011-10-07

I caught part of the news repeat on Rochester, NY's WHAM (RF13) with Ginny Ryan and the handsome Adam Chodak (check out that smile) below!

2011-10-07

Based on the evidence, We The People judge in favour of the bumper used by Detroit, MI's WMYD (RF21) to display their station ID! (At first I didn't even notice that the infamous Gloria Allred is the judge on this show!)

2011-10-07

WMYD's Cool TV subchannel showed off an awesome unique station ID at the top of the hour!

2011-10-07

To my surprise, Kalamazoo, MI's WLLA (RF45) was stealthy like a Ninja and chopped through WDIV's signal for the first time since January 2010! I'll drink to that!

2011-10-07

WLLA's subchannel (RF45-3) was showing some CanCon In The US with an epsiode of 100 Huntley Street, which is produced by Crossroads Canada. I also heart the fact that their schedule lists a show called Wretched with Todd Friel.

2011-10-07

Here's a great shot of WLLA's FamilyNet logo seen via their subchannel.

2011-10-07

My face mirrored that of the gingerbread man below as Flint, MI's WSMH (RF16) came in for the first time since January 2010!

2011-10-07

WSMH was showing Seinfeld with a neat "FOX 66" logo in the bottom right corner! (The station also added both Cool TV and The Country Network as subchannels!)

2011-10-07

Flint, MI's WCMZ (RF28) joined the Michigan wave, with a Diva you don't want to get on the wrong side of! (When I first DXed WCMZ in 2009, it was called WFUM and was owned by Michigan University. Eventually the university sold it, and it became a translator for WCMU.)

2011-10-07

WCMZ showed a promo for Women, War & Peace with a great station logo.

2011-10-07

I returned to more familiar territory when Syracuse, NY's WSYR (RF17) arrived that night. Indeed, WSYR Supports my DXing habit!

2011-10-07

Utica, NY's WKTV (RF29) also arrived with a repeat of their evening news with Lexie O'Connor on anchor duties.

2011-10-07

WKTV meteorologist Adam Musyt touches on Toronto in his forecast!

2011-10-07

Like most stations, WKTV emphasizes sports coverage in the Fall and scores big with anchors Mike Levin and Jason Powles.

2011-10-07

During the commercial break, WKTV showed an awesome promo covering their longevity as a news leader with vintage station footage! Love it!

2011-10-07
2011-10-07
2011-10-07

It was also neat to see WKTV's Andrew Donovan during the sports segment! Check out his blog @andrewdonovan or his Twitter.

2011-10-07

Cleveland, OH's WEWS (RF15) popped up Right This Minute with a promo for the interactive news program that airs after Jimmy Kimmel Live.

2011-10-07

WEWS features the Live Well Network as a subchannel. I heart that they were airing a cooking show called Let's Dish! A jovial guy surrounded by three Divas and food seems like sassy fun!

2011-10-07

Kalamazoo, MI's WLLA-D3 (RF45-3) was still coming in by the time Wretched with Todd Friel aired. After searching for more info on Friel, I found out he's a pretty controversial character. Check out RationalWiki's hilariously snarky roundup of Friel's views. Not necessarily taking sides on Friel, but I don't think he'd agree with my flamingly liberal politics.

2011-10-07

OCTOBER 8, 2011

Rochester, NY's WHAM (RF13) was coming in with The Bible Is Right. Dude gets intense at times, which makes him entertaining to watch. (I think I'd rather watch this guy than Todd Friel!)

2011-10-08

Cleveland, OH's WKYC (RF17) popped up briefly in the morning with their Saturday news show. (This was also the morning that I missed out on stations from Columbus and Zainesville, OH. Other DXers reported picking them up in the Greater Toronto Area, but I slept through most of it!)

2011-10-08

Erie, PA's WQLN (RF50) leisurely travelled through my house with a promo for their auction!

2011-10-08

Syracuse, NY's WSTM (RF24) was airing a repeat of In Wine Country where a guy sings and raps while pouring wine at a vineyard. This jaw droppingly amazing display can be viewed on You Tube.

2011-10-08

WSTM's CNY subchannel was showing doppler radar and the temps for the romantic town of Cazenovia! (It's where the finest lotharios gather!)

2011-10-08

This...is James Earl Jones looking less Bounce-y than usual on Rochester, NY's WROC subchannel (RF45-2).

2011-10-08

Erie, PA's WQLN (RF50) aired a tasty promo for a delicious new event called Chocolate Sunday, which took place in February 2012 to raise money for WQLN's Education programs.

2011-10-08

OCTOBER 9, 2011

Sometimes Erie, PA's WQLN-S1 (Create) runs their own pledge drives separately from the main channel.

2011-10-09

One of the online auctions promoted by WQLN featured Erie's Schultz furniture superstore!

2011-10-09

Over in Rochester, NY, WROC's subchannel (RF45-2) had folks Bounce-ing around on the dancefloor in a repeat of the iconic Soul Train. Sadly, legendary creator and host Don Cornelius passed away recently.

2011-10-09

Woodstock, ON's CITY-TV repeater (RF31) popped up with this slick station logo!

2011-10-09

Utica, NY's WKTV (RF29) featured news with Gary Liberatore that night.

2011-10-09

Like many American (and even Canadian) cities, Utica had their own Occupy movement taking place.

2011-10-09

I'd rather occupy the Fly Creek Cider Mill like the folks below are doing. That way I could get some of their tasty treats to occupy my stomach! That would be berry good!

2011-10-09

WKTV's Jill looks Reale-y gorgeous in her revamped news intro!

2011-10-09

Jill Reale delivered a thunderously good forecast that night on WKTV! Check out Toronto's high temperature!

2011-10-09

I get the exact same look that Jennifer Lopez has whenever Syracuse, NY's WSTM (RF24) pops up in my reception!

2011-10-09

WSTM's CNY subchannel featured weather from Mike Brookins!

2011-10-09

There was a neat promo on WSTM (RF24) with anchor Jackie Robinson reading to kids. First off, I love that she shares her name with the famous baseball player that broke the colour barrier. Secondly, is it me, or do the boys at the left look totally done with her awesomely animated storytelling? At least the girl seems to like it!

2011-10-09

The promo also featured longtime WSTM anchor Laura Hand. I've gotta Hand it to her for being able to maintain such longevity in the news business!

2010-10-09

Erie, PA's WQLN-S1 (RF50-2) maintained a healthy signal while running their original production Meet The Doctors.

2011-10-09

Rochester, NY's CW-WHAM (RF13-2) was showing a repeat of Ugly Betty. The original, quirky show starred America Ferrera and a gaggle of awesome folks. Betty did a great job balancing over the top camp with a lot of moving storylines!

2011-10-09

Rochester, NY's WHAM (RF13) featured anchor Doug Emblidge in an ad for Compeer Rochester. Compeer uses supportive friendships as a "bridge to enhanced wellness and community integration for those with social and emotional barriers."

2011-10-09

I caught a great logo for CW-WHAM at the top of the hour. Rochester's CW has a unique ID using a backdrop of the city, unlike most CW station ID's I've seen.

2011-10-09

That wraps up Part 6 of 2011 Highlights! Stay tuned to TV Garth to see when Part 7 occupies the blogosphere!

2 comments:

  1. OK, so I was one of the lucky souls who picked up 6.1 WSYX, 6.2 MYTV, and 53.1 WWHO from Columbus Ohio as well as 18.1 WHIZ from Zainesville. Also several from Akron, Canton and Bowling Green Ohio all on Oct. 8. (Would be very interesting to know if that is a record for a little unamplified indoor Terk.) Doesn't change the fact I'm still jealous of your Michigan pickups. Think those may be blocked by a highrise for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe....we're mutually jealous of our results from that day I guess ;-) Even slight differences in location change results wildly! I used to DX from a pal's apartment in Downtown Toronto where he faced the lake on the 27th floor. He got AMAZING reception of all Upstate New York stuff (Rochester, Syracuse, Utica) but nothing at all from Lake Erie area (nothing from Erie, Cleveland, Detroit, etc.) I guess certain apartment angles block certain cities, but don't give up on Michigan - I hope you can snag it someday! BTW, I finally fixed my settings and got access to Digital Home again! Was worried for awhile, but now it seems fine!

    ReplyDelete