Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Monday, January 9, 2012

TV Garth Presents: An Interview With WSTM's Niko Tamurian!

Greetings TV Garth readers! Niko Tamurian from Syracuse, NY's WSTM graciously took the time to chat with TV Garth about his work at the station! Niko has won several awards from the Syracuse Press Club for his sportscasts and talked with me about what it's been like helping viewers keep score over the past five years!


(Photo credit: CNYcentral.com)


Garth Jensen: What sparked your interest in broadcasting and how did that lead to becoming a sports anchor at WSTM?

Niko Tamurian: I always wanted to be some sort of broadcaster for my entire life. When I was younger my interest was split between weather and sports. (I'm still what they call a weather-dork today and frequently shoot video of "cool" weather events that I come across.) As a kid, some of the best memories, of course, were of Syracuse University sports and the announcer's call. I can still remember it inspiring me. I hope I have that same affect on someone. I used to play sports video games with my brother as a kid and announce them. Ok, maybe I still do, but that's a secret.

How it led to my career is a bit roundabout. I went to Onondaga CC in Syracuse for my first two years of college, and while there I interned at WSYR TV. That sports internship cemented it for me, that I knew I wanted to be a sportscaster. Eventually after 18 months of interning there, they hired me as a news videographer, which obviously was a great experience that was essential for me to become a sportscaster. Eventually, WSTM had a sports opening, WSYR didn't and the rest is history.

2011-10-11
Niko scores big with WSTM viewers! (Seen Oct. 11, 2011 via WSTM, RF24.)


GJ: This year will mark your fifth anniversary at WSTM. Can you tell me what it has been like to work for the station?

NT: It's been an absolute pleasure to work at the station. I love every day, because every day is different. Put it to you this way, I'm getting paid to cover the teams I love, and report the news to my fellow Central New Yorkers. People I meet most often say they enjoy watching because it looks like I'm having fun. It doesn't just appear that way, I really am having a blast. (Well, unless SU is losing.) I'm still fairly young (26) so I hope to have a long and successful time here in my hometown while working for CNY Central. I also hope to be an inspiration or a role model for people the way that sportscasters were to me when I was young.

GJ: Have you noticed any changes to the way sports are presented in local newscasts since your career began? Is there more pressure to link it to social media now?

NT: Absolutely. The thing that amazes me the most is just how much things have changed in my 5 years here. The biggest change though, has been the emphasis to utilize not just CNYCentral.com but the station's Facebook and Twitter accounts as well. Something that really wasn't a thought for a TV station is now among my top priorities in the course of my day.

The presentation has changed in a way I prefer. If you look back about 10 years, local sports certainly covered the big draws in town, but after that it was like a mini Sportscenter.

Now, at least the philosophy I employ is that unless it's a huge national story, people are going online or to ESPN to get it. I need to provide to Central New York stories they can only get at CNY Central. Whether it's extensive Syracuse University coverage, or local high school teams and athletes, or that amazing individual who if it weren't for local news would never have their stories heard.

2011-10-11
Niko knocks it out of the park with Jackie Robinson on WSTM's evening newscast! (Seen Oct. 11, 2011 via WSTM, RF24.)


GJ: You've interviewed some amazing athletes, and covered major sports events. Can you tell me about any challenges you've faced in bringing those stories to the public? As well, what are some of the most rewarding or memorable experiences you've had?

NT: I've been fortunate enough to have some great interviews with athletes I admired, and in some ways still do. Shaquille O'Neal, Cal Ripken Jr., Carmelo Anthony, Joe Girardi. Those are things you never forget, but the ones that are rewarding are the local people going above and beyond.

One that comes to mind is a junior varsity group of rowers (14-15 years old) that saved a man's life. He was having a seizure and almost fell in the water, but this group of crew kids rowed over to him and essentially saved his life.

There were the special education students at a local high school that put on their own talent show with such enthusiasm that absolutely touched my heart.

There was the interview with Marc Mero who turned his life around in a way that inspires me every day I wake up. I'm actually a better person from interviewing Marc and getting to know him and putting into practice what he teaches.

That's the part I love the most about my job - what's the next story I'll do that will serve as an inspiration?


Watch Jack the Sports dog in action with Niko in this CNYcentral clip!


GJ: Jack the Sports Dog is adorable! How did it come about to use your own dog to predict the winning teams in the "Hot Pick From The Hot Dog" segments?

NT: Jack is a great dog. It's funny, we do an "Orange VIP" show, a half hour program that talks about Syracuse U. football and basketball. One Sunday in January of 2010, our entire panel of guests was out of town because Syracuse played that day in Cincinnati. Sports Director John Evenson and I were brainstorming ideas on how to fill the time. When I suggested the "Hot Pick", he agreed to it and I brought Jack in. He made his pick for how far that year's SU basketball team would go, and fans have loved it ever since. I remember re-airing the segment the next day and viewers writing and even calling telling us how much they loved it. So we have Jack make a pick every Friday now. He has even received Valentine's cards, Christmas cards and fan mail in his 2 years of making picks. (He's 3 years old now.)

GJ: Syracuse seems to have a lot of pride in their local teams. Can you tell me a bit about the popularity of those teams and how that resonates with people in the city?

NT: No question people love their Orange. Everywhere I go, I'm stopped to talk shop about the team that is currently in season. And I'll never forget the euphoria that ensued for months in 2003 when Syracuse won the NCAA Basketball Championship. I still watch the DVD of that. It just goes to show how much the local team means to me, and all CNY'ers

2011-11-09
Niko introduces a report on the Syracuse Orange's final exhibition for the season! (Seen Nov. 9, 2011 via WSTM, RF24.)


GJ: As a proud Canadian I have to ask, do you have any favourite hockey teams and have you ever been to Canada?

NT: Although I don't currently hold a passport, I have been to Canada a handful of times. I finished my bachelor's degree at Buffalo State College, so you almost had to go to Canada. I also went when I was younger to Toronto and Niagara Falls (Marineland!). Our Sports Director, John Evenson is Canadian and to my knowledge has lived in Montreal, Toronto and Winnipeg.

As for my favorite hockey teams, the Syracuse Crunch (AHL) always holds a special place, but in the NHL I have to go with my Buffalo Sabres.

GJ: For people visiting Syracuse, what places would you recommend checking out?

NT: Anyone will tell you, you HAVE to go to Dinosaur BBQ when in town. It is phenomenal, and was even featured on Man vs. Food. There are so many incredible restaurants we are so lucky to have.

Syracuse and CNY as a whole have a lot of hidden gems. For Sports fans, there's SU Athletics, but also the International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota is 20 minutes away, and the International Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown is about 90 minutes away.

The Finger Lakes region, about an hour west of town is known for its fantastic wineries.

There are several beautiful parks around like Onondaga Lake Park, or Jack the Sports Dog's personal favorite Green Lakes State Park.

A big thank you to Niko Tamurian for chatting with TV Garth! Check out Niko’s CNYcentral bio, as well as his Twitter! You can also visit CNYcentral.com for more information on WSTM!

No comments:

Post a Comment