Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy Halloween: 2010 Edition!

Greetings TV Garth readers! It’s time once again for the annual Halloween round-up! This year, I’ve collected pics of spooky sights from Erie, PA and Cleveland, OH as well as Rochester, Buffalo and Batavia, NY! So continue on….if you dare! Bwaaa-haaaa-haaaaaa! (Somehow scary laughter doesn’t translate via text.)

First up, I was watching WSEE (RF12-3) from Erie, PA on Oct. 8th and saw a segment about the Eerie Horror Film Festival held at the Warner Theatre. Check out the Vincent Price collectibles, as well as other horror related stills in the pics below!

IMG_7978 IMG_7979

They had special guest Fred “The Hammer” Williamson on deck to sign autographs. Williamson is known for TV’s M*A*S*H and films like From Dusk Till Dawn, pictured below!

IMG_7985 IMG_7990

I was surprised to pick up some Cleveland, OH reception Oct. 8th, including WKYC (RF17) as seen below. I was even more surprised that Hollie Strano was in such terrible shape until I realized the crawl at the bottom of the screen had nothing to do the story pictured!

IMG_8193

See, if I assumed the crawl was related to the story on screen I’d be thinking “I became a fan of WKYC on Facebook – and then turned into a zombie!”

IMG_8194

The two previous images are actually part of The Fear Experience, which is a haunted house in Cleveland created by Max Simon (below) and his cousin Nick Francis! Proceeds go towards the Make-A-Wish Foundation!

IMG_8197

Yikes! I was surprised that I Saw all of this during the early morning news! Maybe The Fear Experience is just trying to put the “Oh!” in Ohio! Either that, or WKYC is on the cutting edge with their news reports.

IMG_8200

Another great creep-a-zoid? Skeletor as seen on the old He-Man cartoons which currently air during Qubo’s “Night Owl” block! (Seen via Batavia, NY’s WPXJ subchannel 51-2.)

IMG_8414

One of the funniest Halloween promos came via Rochester, NY’s WUHF (RF28) on Oct. 9th where meteorologist Scott Hetsko is seen giving candy to a kid dressed in CSI: Miami duds! (He greets him with an enthusiastic "Hey there, Horatio!") It turns out WROC and WUHF are sponsoring a contest for people to dress up as their favourite CBS or FOX primetime characters!

IMG_8517 IMG_8523

WUHF also showed a neat promo for the Al Sigl Community Walkabout with News 8 Now’s Katrina Irwin and Brian Neudorff. Check out the bevy of costumes on display after the first two pics!

IMG_8529 IMG_8532 IMG_8536

I’m surprised pervy guys didn’t try to convince those women to cut out the eyes on their pumpkin shirts.

IMG_8537

I heart the total contrast between the two kids in the pic below! Maybe the kid on the right is just really hungry for some Wendy’s!

IMG_8538

Even ABC’s World News Now got into the spirit (seen Oct. 29th via Buffalo, NY’s WKBW on RF38)! Anchors Rob Nelson & Vinita Nair got a spooky backdrop, as well as a funny animated video with a Halloween rap.

IMG_0202 IMG_0204

A “spider” also dropped in as a special guest before the night was through.

IMG_0210

ABC also had some neat promos with their logo appearing inside a pumpkin.

IMG_0207

As well, I loved that ABC put cobwebs around their main logo bug during programming in the days leading up to Halloween!

IMG_0213

Last, but not least, this is what I’ll be doing on Halloween! (Seen Oct. 29th via the new subchannel on Buffalo, NY’s WUTV, 29-2 The Country Network.) It’s from Steve Azar’s video “I Don’t Have To Be Me” which is surprisingly spot on for costume wearing mayhem!

IMG_0228

Stay tuned to TV Garth for more TV related treats, and have a Safe and Happy Halloween!!!

1 comment: