Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

CanCon In The US: WGRZ Talks Canadians & Black Friday!

I came home stressed out on November 25, 2011 due to working on the Canadian version of Black Friday. (It wasn't as intense as the US version, but still pretty crazy...) But I perked up when I came home to see Buffalo, NY's WGRZ (RF33) opening their newscast with a story about Canadians flocking across the border for US bargains! Click here for the full story and video. Below are the pics I captured when I was watching over-the-air!

Check out anchor Maryalice Demler introducing the report!

2011-11-25

"Cheryl Cooper: Toronto Shopper" almost sounds like an exciting new investigative series. They interviewed her in the parking lot of the Niagara Falls outlet mall, which my friends and I shopped at during last month's Rochester road trip!

2011-11-25

I love to see the Canadian flag fly! The report showed stats from Bank of Montreal that indicate almost a quarter of Ontarians will shop in the US this season!

2011-11-25

The trippiest thing was seeing a newscast within a newscast as WGRZ filmed CFTO's crew who were doing a live report for CTV Toronto's story about Buffalo bargains! The second pic shows CFTO's Christine Bentley and Ashley Rowe!

2011-11-25
2011-11-25

Near the end of the segment, WGRZ's Michael Wooten gave stats about Canadian shoppers that showed we spend about twice as much as Americans when we cross the border! Can I get a "woot, woot"? (You know...cause of Wooten? Never mind...)

2011-11-25

After seeing this story, I posted about how much I liked it on WGRZ's Facebook wall and they "liked" my post! I was flabbergasted, and appreciated that 2 really is on my side!

Stay tuned to TV Garth for more television mayhem!

3 comments:

  1. Garth,

    I noticed WGRZ Buffalo is also a sister station of my nearest CBS affiliate, KTHV 12 ("11-1, 11-2") Little Rock AR. KTHV (aka "TodaysTHV" as they brand themselves) even uses the same graphics package as the one seen on the WGRZ screencaps. And yes, there is a Little Rock version of "Deal Chicken" (as are all the Gannett media outlets).

    The closest I got to going to a store on "Black Friday" is I darkened the door of the local grocery store (Piggly Wiggly) then the local Fred's (Dollar-type store) next door. Shopping on "Black Friday" is something that I avoid like the plague. It didn't help that there was tazing, assaults, pepper spray and other mayhem reported by the media in parts of the US. Don't even get me started on store openings during US Thanksgiving and on late night on Thanksgiving (Walmart, Target, KMart).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost forgot about Deal Chicken! WGRZ does have it, and I also saw it on Cleveland's WKYC during Summer tropo! (WKYC is another Gannett station.) I'll have to throw in a pic in my next Reception Report! ;-) I like the Gannett graphics...they're pretty modern and sleek. (I'm also excited about WGRZ picking up Antenna TV as a subchannel beginning in January.)

    My jaw dropped at all the reports on the US craziness! Too much mayhem for such insignificant stuff. Was still surprised that Canada is trying to compete with it now... we already had a version of Black Friday (Boxing Day which is the day after Christmas.) So many stores on both sides of the border seem desperate to grab customers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually logged WKYC when they were on VHF DTV 2 several years ago (pre-transition), and even remember what was being broadcast---the 4th Hour Of NBC Today, aka the "Cougarfest" which is also currently rebroadcast during early AM for some strange reason.

    ReplyDelete