Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

TV Garth Presents: An Interview With WROC's Matt Molloy!

Greetings TV Garth readers! Matt Molloy from Rochester, NY's WROC graciously took the time to chat with TV Garth about his work at the station. Molloy currently anchors News 8 First at 4 and has been with WROC for nearly five years. Read on for some great insights into his career in television news, the pressures of originating a 4pm newscast, as well as his thoughts on being a gay role model!

(Photo Credit: rochesterhomepage.net)


Garth Jensen: What sparked your interest in journalism and how did you start your career?

Matt Molloy: I think I really got my start in middle school in Connecticut where I grew up. I would read the morning announcements which were televised -- that was really my first taste of broadcasting. My high school had a TV station and I worked my way up to being the technical director and also did some on-air reporting. I also took part in a local student news program put on by the Fox affiliate in Hartford, CT. So when I graduated high school, I knew I was going into broadcast journalism. I went to Boston University where I got my B.S. in Broadcast in 2003.

GJ: I'm curious about your experience working for WWTI in Watertown. (WWTI pops up occasionally in the TV Garth reception area!) Can you tell me a bit about what it was like working there?

MM: Ahhh, Watertown. Well, I went from city life in Boston to Watertown, NY. So that for me was a very fast culture shock, but I really enjoyed my time there. It was my first TV job and I was very excited. I worked as a "one-man-band" meaning I did everything. I shot my video, wrote my stories and edited them. It was a great experience. I was there for about a year before I got offered an anchor position at WETM in Elmira.


2010-08-02 0235
Matt Molloy out in the field (literally) reporting for WROC's sister station WUHF on FOX First at Ten. (Seen Aug. 2, 2010 via WUHF, RF28.)


GJ: How did you get started working for WROC?

MM: After spending 2 years anchoring in Elmira I applied all over the country (much like I had for my first job). I knew a few people already working in Rochester and knew there was an opening at WROC. So I showed some initiative and showed up one day -- hoping to get an impromptu interview with the news director. It worked -- I got the interview and a few weeks later had the job offer. This fall I will make 5 years at WROC. I started as a reporter and last year re-signed as the anchor of our 4pm newscast.

2010-04-02 313GJ: What have been some of the most challenging and/or rewarding experiences while reporting and anchoring for WROC?

MM: I think the most rewarding and challenging experiences are often one in the same. Typically it's a big story -- like the plane crash in Buffalo, or the mass shooting in Binghamton. Big stories that are difficult to cover -- both because of the subject matter and the logistics of trying to convey such a big story with so many angles to the viewers at home. It's rewarding when you walk away from a newscast knowing you pulled that off, but always difficult to cover a tragedy that big.

GJ: Did you feel any pressure when you were asked to anchor News 8 First at 4? What has it been like to originate a 4pm newscast for the station?

MM: There was definitely some pressure when we first launched the 4 o'clock newscast. This was something brand new and I was the face of the show. That said, it's been one of the best experiences of my life. We're coming up on the first anniversary of the show and it's doing exceptionally well with viewers. We've seen a significant increase in viewership in a very short time. The show is very much me -- trending topics (hot stories from the web) and viral videos. I like to sprinkle in some fun stuff with the important news of the day. I find people like to get their serious news, but really enjoy when you can lighten things up as well.


2011-05-31GJ: News 8 First at 4 engages viewers through the use of social media. What do you see for the future of local TV news as the line between traditional newscasts and social media increasingly blurs?

MM: Social media is huge and finding that balance between TV and social media isn't easy. The key I've found is driving people from social media to your newscast. Facebook and Twitter are important tools, but ultimately the product is TV. Our "Your Turn" segment engages viewers on a subject of the day, then asks them to tune in for their comments on TV. We also feature a "Facebook Fan of the Day" randomly choosing a viewer from my fan page and showing their picture. I've seen how social media can work in conjunction with TV and not as a separate entity -- that's a balance I think you've got to find as you incorporate new media.


2011-06-14GJ: As a gay blogger, I was thrilled to see marriage equality become a reality in New York State. Can you tell me what it was like to cover the stories about the Marriage Equality Act at the local as well as state level?

MM: It was definitely cool to cover marriage equality here in New York. It's a big story that has been ongoing for years now. I've interviewed those for and against, politicians, you name it. I happened to be in New York City the weekend it passed (on a little vacation) and witnessed the celebration at Stonewall. I think it was very cool to watch both as a journalist and an individual.

GJ: Have you had any difficulties or challenges being an openly gay reporter and anchor?

MM: Not that I can think of -- I've never shied away from being myself, it's not my style. I also find it's important to be a role model -- with the epidemic of gay teen suicides I think it's more important than ever they see successful gay adults. I've been very impressed with the "It gets better" campaign and think it's a great message.

GJ: What do you feel are the most important things to bring to viewers in Rochester and beyond?

MM: I think the most important thing I can do as a journalist is be genuine. People trust people they can relate to when they watch -- that's my goal during every newscast.

2011-07-04
Matt Molloy anchors an explosive AM newscast as seen July 4th, 2011 on WROC.


GJ: For readers who might consider coming to Rochester, what places would you recommend visiting? (And as a sidenote, have you ever been to Canada, and if so how did you enjoy it?)

MM: Rochester has a lot of attractions! The George Eastman House is fantastic -- tons of history about how this city came to be and the man who played a big role in building it. Come during any weekend in the Spring and Summer and you'll find a festival -- Lilac Festival, Corn Hill Arts Festival, Park Avenue Festival -- we've got plenty! And yes, I have been to Canada. I actually have family that live in Mississauga -- so I try to visit fairly often! I enjoy my visits quite a bit -- I'm always watching my kilometers on the QEW though!

A big thank you to Matt Molloy for chatting with TV Garth! Check out Matt’s Facebook Fan Page, as well as his Twitter! You can also visit Matt’s official bio at the WROC website! Don't forget to catch Matt Molloy weekdays on News 8 First at 4 on Rochester, NY's WROC (RF45.)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview. I would love to see your report on the digital transition that just happened in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Glad you liked the interview! I'll be getting a post up about the Canadian DTV transition pretty soon! Just finishing up a "2011 Highlights" post first, and then I'll tackle the transition :-)

    ReplyDelete