Welcome to TV Garth!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved antennas and TV reception. It was always a thrill to hook up an antenna and see what stations I could get, and see if I could pick up anything from a far distance. With the transition to digital broadcasting happening, my love for OTA (over the air) reception came back and this blog will focus on what channels I'm able to receive via antenna from my home just outside of Toronto, Canada. Plus there may be occasional commentaries on shows that I see while adjusting my reception.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Marvelous May with Utica, Syracuse and a shout out from WKTV’s Don Shipman!

Greetings TV Garth readers. I’ve been really behind on updates, but wanted to share this quick report about my May 13, 2010 reception! There was an intense burst of reception from Utica, NY’s WKTV (RF29) and Syracuse, NY’s WSYR (RF17). I’ve picked up WKTV a couple of times in the past few months, but haven’t gotten WSYR since Sept. 2009! But what made this day incredibly exciting was that I got a shout out ON AIR from Don Shipman during WKTV’s newscast! I recently interviewed Don, and twittered him about my reception this day. He then gave a shout out on air and even mentioned my other tweet about flipping through Syracuse stations!!!! I was flabbergasted and amazed! Full report coming soon! Meanwhile, check out some pics and video below!

The tweets:

WKTV May 13 2010 Twitter1

The video:

The pics:

WKTV (RF29) at roughly 222 miles away from me with Newschannel 2 At Daybreak!

IMG_4319IMG_4392

WSYR (RF17) at roughly 174 miles away from me with The Morning News on Newschannel 9! (Complete with snazzy banners on the sides!)

IMG_4548 IMG_4629

One big news event was President Obama’s visit to Buffalo, which was being covered on both stations!

IMG_4338IMG_4648

Stay tuned to TV Garth for more TV related goodness!

2 comments:

  1. A little OT but I read that WNGS was being sold to a new group and may be back on the air soon. What is the status of that station?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I was just about to post about it! :-)Heh....WNGS came back on the air today, but the signal seems weak. It's on VHF 7...I got about two seconds of decode just long enough to see a bit of picture and get the station ID. Haven't gotten it to lock since, but they're running Daystar religious programming until the new group takes over. Rumoured to be a Spanish language station, but nothing confirmed yet!

    ReplyDelete